- OMEP works with governments and authorities to support and encourage initiatives aimed at children and families. OMEP was a sponsor of the New Leaders in Early Years Programme, intended to raise outcomes for children in areas of social disadvantage in the UK.
- OMEP promotes research and conducts surveys on early childhood education.
- OMEP projects are specially conceived with the particular needs of each group of children in mind. In the past few years OMEP has funded school uniforms for children in Nigeria and a playground for children in South Africa and supported relief work following the typhoon in the Philippines and the tsunami in Japan.
What are we working on now?
- OMEP is concerned that provision for 2 year olds is appropriate and high quality.
- OMEP is working on a world project for Education for Sustainable Development. This year the focus is on Development of Teacher Training Resources for Education for Sustainable Development in Early Childhood Education and Care. If you are interested in being part of this please contact us.
- OMEP has supported the establishment of the KENYA OMEP committee
- OMEP has been lobbying for early childhood development to be included in global development goals post 2015 through our links through United Nations and has supported the petition by Tessa Jowell to Members States of the United Nations calling on them to recognise the central importance of giving all children the best start in life. You can download the paper here. You can use this document to write to policy makers and decision makers and tell them how important getting early childhood development right is to all of our future sustainable development.! In July 2014 the first revision of the Sustainable Development Goals zero draft Target 4.1 was published:
"by 2030 provide all children with access to quality early childhood care and pre-primary education”
This is progress but there is still work to be done.
See the draft paper here >
- OMEP will be celebrating the international days >